Skip to main content

Your Best is the Best

School. Just at that word, many of you have probably conjured images of bulging backpacks, clogged-artery hallways, dry classes that drag on like stale milk, and mountains of homework that aren't even relevant to daily life. Well, I've just recently gone back to school, and yes, those things are all very true and appropriate. But, for some people, school is more than that.

Some people put so much pressure on themselves to succeed that they're drowning. They think that without that A, they'll be worthless. They're not happy when they get good grades, they're relieved. 

One of the many shortcomings of the American standardized public school system is that it puts so much emphasis on one standard idea of smart. If you fit, you're constantly trying to be the best because you think you have to. If you don't, you're left behind.

But now, I'm here to talk about the valedictorian and salutatorian. People don't realize how hard it is to do school when you literally cannot let yourself be less than excellent. It's incredibly difficult to explain to someone who isn't in the same position. You can end up sounding so snotty or whiny when all you want is help.

This can apply to anything really, not just school. I'm here to say this to everyone who has felt like they can't let themselves be anything but excellent-
it's okay to be average.

Do you hear me? It's okay to be average. You don't have to be perfect. In fact, you can't be perfect. Only God is perfect, and you can't earn his love by doing stuff. It's all about grace. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

As long as you're working hard and not killing yourself in the process, you're doing fantastic. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. You don't owe it to anyone to do perfectly. You don't need to be better than everyone else.

School isn't everything. Whatever you're feeling pressured into perfection at isn't everything.

That being said, you still have to try. Don't just slack off everything and not care. Work hard, do the best you can, and don't worry about someone else's standards.

The reason I can say all of this is because I am that person. I am the person who can't stand that my GPA is ever-so-slightly-less than 4.0. I am the person who needs to remember that my grades don't define me as a person.

And if you are too, these words are for you; your best is absolutely good enough. No matter what you do, always be you before anything else.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Yourself When You Love Someone with Mental Illness

There are many articles online about how to love someone with a mental illness. I do not want to say that those are unimportant; they are very, very important. But something I have not seen in any article is the message that they need to care for themselves as well. It's hard to love someone in the middle of the storm. It's hard to give so much of yourself up for someone who may not appreciate you at the time. It's hard to know when to stop giving, and it's even harder to "Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life." (Prov 4:23) So, today I am here to talk to the children, the best friends, the partners of those with mental illness. From someone who both experiences depression and anxiety and has family/friends with various mental illness, I'm here to say: take care of yourself, too. You are not supposed to fix them. You can't. As I posted recently, "you don't 'cure' mental illness; you treat it through an ev

Growing Pains

Life is a process. It's a journey. The only real destination we have is death (and subsequently, unity with God if you're a believer). You will never stop learning and growing, ever. When I overcame some damaging habits in high school, I thought I had made it. When I untangled myself from a toxic relationship, I thought okay, now I've made it. When I volunteered a whole summer at Lake Ellen, I thought yes, finally I've made it. When I got into college and became a legal adult, I thought this is it, I have truly officially made it. But I haven't made it, there isn't an "it" point to reach where you're finally who you are. There will always be another mountain to climb, but that's not a bad thing. Empty fields get boring after a while, don't they? Life is all about change. It's all about growth. And even a little bit about death. Every single day you learn something new- even if you're not in school, even if you're not a

In Support of Emotional Abuse Survivors

Dear survivor: Before anything else, I want to tell you your trauma is valid. Even if you don't have bruises or scars and you feel like you don't have "proof." Even if you were only with them for a short time. Even if you feel like it was your fault and you had your chance to leave. You are not crazy or complaining for being honest about your trauma. You are not the only one who feels this way. You are not alone in your confusion, frustration, and pain. It may take you a long time to recognize that you were abused. It may take years. That doesn't mean you're making it up. It may take several therapists to properly deal with your residual feelings. That doesn't mean you're being too dramatic. Someday, you might find yourself doing things that your abuser used to do, and you start to panic and think "I'm turning into him/her." You're not. You're not like them. You're a survivor and you can change those behaviors and be b