Skip to main content

Some Ramblings and a Story

So, I've got no real plan of where this post is going, but I want to write. So, here I go.

Next week is homecoming week. Like any girl, I just couldn't resist posting a picture of my dress. (I got it at a garage sale and it fits perfectly, YEAH)

Now now, don't peg me as a girly-girl. It's my pet-peeve. But recently I've been buying dresses and stuff, and I realized that it's not that bad. So, that's a little sneak peek into my life.

I've decided this post will be for a little story I wrote. Here we go.

"Bookstore"

I walk into the store from the chilled December air, the warm scent of old books wafting around, curling the corners of my lips like the corners of old pages. My emerald green eyes sift through the spines of hundreds of tomes. I float on the promise of stories and happily-ever-afters to my favorite section, Poetry. I've been to this little shop a hundred times, and every Wednesday at six, the boy with the pretty smile is there. I've never talked to him directly, but I see his cerulean eyes caress the rhymes and meters on the page behind his thin glasses as if he was holding a lover. I've never wanted so much to be words on a page, so that he could treasure me as much as he does Poe, Shakespeare, or Dickinson. Today, though, he's standing upright without a book in his hand. His blue gaze is locked on me, and I've never been more terrified or exhilarated. This moment is far better than any romance novel could have dreamt up for me. My mind is brimming with thousands of ways this could turn out, thousands of timelines with thousands of words said and unsaid. He licks his lips nervously, even though he has no reason to be anything but confident. "Hello," he says. His voice is rich and sweet, and I would listen to it on repeat for the rest of my life, just that one word. One word has never meant so much to me. "My name is Michael." Michael. A handsome name for a handsome boy. "Aria," I manage to sputter out, sounding surprisingly sure of myself. He grins as if he's received a gift he's waited years for. "Would you like to get some coffee at that little cafe down the street sometime, Aria?" My heart pounds against my chest, screaming to be released. I nod, my smile growing wider with each passing breath. "Well... How about now?" he asks, adorable blue eyes begging at me from under a curtain of jet-colored locks. "I... I have something for you, first." He reaches out his hand to me, and my mind is struck with the simple beauty of this act. His elegant fingers that suggest years of turning pages are curled tightly around a small book. The extended arm is a question, one I gladly answer with my own trembling hand. If he notices, he doesn't say. I gently pluck the gift from his hand, and my breath catches as I read the title. It's the book I had picked up last Wednesday and gazed longingly at. My college-student funds left much to be desired, and I spend most of my extra finances on works of literature. "Thank you, so much," I breathe. "Seriously, I... Thank you." His lips grin crookedly, and my heart stutters. "You're welcome, I saw you looking at it, and I had a little extra, and it's almost Christmas, so... Merry Christmas. Now, would you accompany me to Starbucks?" "Indeed I will, Michael. Let's go," I prompt excitedly as I stroll into the freezing, snow-scarred wind, the warmth in my cheeks and the unexpected company keeping me safe.

Popular posts from this blog

In Support of Emotional Abuse Survivors

Dear survivor: Before anything else, I want to tell you your trauma is valid. Even if you don't have bruises or scars and you feel like you don't have "proof." Even if you were only with them for a short time. Even if you feel like it was your fault and you had your chance to leave. You are not crazy or complaining for being honest about your trauma. You are not the only one who feels this way. You are not alone in your confusion, frustration, and pain. It may take you a long time to recognize that you were abused. It may take years. That doesn't mean you're making it up. It may take several therapists to properly deal with your residual feelings. That doesn't mean you're being too dramatic. Someday, you might find yourself doing things that your abuser used to do, and you start to panic and think "I'm turning into him/her." You're not. You're not like them. You're a survivor and you can change those behaviors and be b

Loving Yourself When You Love Someone with Mental Illness

There are many articles online about how to love someone with a mental illness. I do not want to say that those are unimportant; they are very, very important. But something I have not seen in any article is the message that they need to care for themselves as well. It's hard to love someone in the middle of the storm. It's hard to give so much of yourself up for someone who may not appreciate you at the time. It's hard to know when to stop giving, and it's even harder to "Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life." (Prov 4:23) So, today I am here to talk to the children, the best friends, the partners of those with mental illness. From someone who both experiences depression and anxiety and has family/friends with various mental illness, I'm here to say: take care of yourself, too. You are not supposed to fix them. You can't. As I posted recently, "you don't 'cure' mental illness; you treat it through an ev

Growing Pains

Life is a process. It's a journey. The only real destination we have is death (and subsequently, unity with God if you're a believer). You will never stop learning and growing, ever. When I overcame some damaging habits in high school, I thought I had made it. When I untangled myself from a toxic relationship, I thought okay, now I've made it. When I volunteered a whole summer at Lake Ellen, I thought yes, finally I've made it. When I got into college and became a legal adult, I thought this is it, I have truly officially made it. But I haven't made it, there isn't an "it" point to reach where you're finally who you are. There will always be another mountain to climb, but that's not a bad thing. Empty fields get boring after a while, don't they? Life is all about change. It's all about growth. And even a little bit about death. Every single day you learn something new- even if you're not in school, even if you're not a