Skip to main content

Just a Small-Town Girl Visiting a Broken World

I've recently gone on a church mission trip to Chicago. And boy, let me tell you... the world is a bigger place than I could ever have imagined. I didn't realize how sheltered I was until I set foot in a city filled with millions more people than I had even ever met.

I rode a train and a public bus for the first time. I was panicky on the bus, but the train was nice.

Anyway, every afternoon, we went to the Dr. King's Boys and Girls Club. I am not a little kid person (or any type of people person, to be honest), but... these kids, they got into my heart. The first day, I was watching Kung Fu Panda with them, and this little girl named Savannah plopped her head on my shoulder and fell asleep. We ended up becoming best friends, one would even say "chuchos." (inside joke.)

I met so many other kids. At first, I thought they all hated us. We were a group of white kids, a vast minority, considering we were the only white people in the building. It felt good to be a minority, it was a learning experience. They quickly warmed up to us. We were their friends.

In the mornings, we did other things- volunteering at an assisted living facility, a food depository, a soup-kitchen-type place, and exploring the city and learning all about it. I talked to many people of so many ethnicities, and learned some new words in other languages!

For dinners, we went to various ethnic restaurants. Puerto Rican (fired plantain sandwiches and rice), Columbian (chicken fried rice and chicken), Afghan (ground chicken, rice, pita bread, hummus, and fried things that were good), and Mediterranean (pita sandwiches and hummus). The Afghan was my favorite.

On the first day, we went on a tour of the West Side. We learned about schools closing because they were "too dark," not up to standard, too poor. We learned about people being forced to join gangs. We learned about purposeful poverty and gentrification.

What we saw made me angry.

These are people. God's children.

Some may blame God, but you know what? It's people we have to blame. God gave everyone free will; even those who abuse it. And people do abuse it. That's where poverty and homelessness come in to play. There's enough to go around, but some people keep it for themselves.

Take care of your neighbors. Take care of the people you don't think about. Look a little closer.

We saw so many homeless people, and you know what? I looked every one in the eye and said "have a good day." I didn't have money or food to give, but I offered dignity. I treated them like my equal. I wouldn't avoid them or dump a little change in their cup out of pity. I gave what I had and I can only hope I helped.

I talked to many people in the facilities we volunteered at- and lots of people who know their situations say just a conversation can bring a lot of light into their life.

People are people and people deserve love. You don't even have to do a lot, just listen. Talk to the people around you.

This trip wasn't a goal or a destination; it was a beginning. A spark. We need to light our hearts on fire, and make sure it spreads. God's love for people needs to be our love for people.

Light your world.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Yourself When You Love Someone with Mental Illness

There are many articles online about how to love someone with a mental illness. I do not want to say that those are unimportant; they are very, very important. But something I have not seen in any article is the message that they need to care for themselves as well. It's hard to love someone in the middle of the storm. It's hard to give so much of yourself up for someone who may not appreciate you at the time. It's hard to know when to stop giving, and it's even harder to "Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life." (Prov 4:23) So, today I am here to talk to the children, the best friends, the partners of those with mental illness. From someone who both experiences depression and anxiety and has family/friends with various mental illness, I'm here to say: take care of yourself, too. You are not supposed to fix them. You can't. As I posted recently, "you don't 'cure' mental illness; you treat it through an ev

In Support of Emotional Abuse Survivors

Dear survivor: Before anything else, I want to tell you your trauma is valid. Even if you don't have bruises or scars and you feel like you don't have "proof." Even if you were only with them for a short time. Even if you feel like it was your fault and you had your chance to leave. You are not crazy or complaining for being honest about your trauma. You are not the only one who feels this way. You are not alone in your confusion, frustration, and pain. It may take you a long time to recognize that you were abused. It may take years. That doesn't mean you're making it up. It may take several therapists to properly deal with your residual feelings. That doesn't mean you're being too dramatic. Someday, you might find yourself doing things that your abuser used to do, and you start to panic and think "I'm turning into him/her." You're not. You're not like them. You're a survivor and you can change those behaviors and be b

How My Hypersensitive Hearing Fuels My Anxiety

We live in a very loud world. Unbearably so, to someone born with hypersensitive heaing/misophonia like me. It's a form of sound sensitivity much like hyperacusis. I cannot stand sounds above a certain decibel level, and I live often in chronic fear of being overwhelmed by sounds. I also have depression and anxiety. I'm not sure if my sensory disorder caused my anxiety, or if it's just adding fuel to a fire that's been burning for a long time. Either way, I am at my most panicked when I am being overwhelmed by sound. When I was little, it was so much worse. My sound aversions were unbearable; I lived in terror of the fire alarms at school, I refused to flush public toilets because of how loud they were, Fourth of July was absolutely a nightmare. During much of the month of July, I would walk around in public with bulky headphones like you would at the gun range. I'm sure I looked ridiculous. Anxiety weighed on me and I didn't know how to get help. These di