Skip to main content

Grey is the New Black and White

Do you have opinions?

Well, get rid of them.

Do you have preferences?

Chuck 'em.

Do you have a passion?

Not anymore.

This world is not black-and-white. You can't have anything, say anything, or do anything without offending someone. So, might as well lock yourself in your room and give up on friends.

I'm kidding. Don't do that.

But seriously, no matter what you do, someone will complain. It's ok. You aren't living to please other people. I am living (as best as I can, I'm not perfect.) to please God. And that's much easier than pleasing people.

That doesn't mean you can be a jerk, however. Love people, don't please them. Keep your values and standards, but also help those who need it. Be nice to people, but don't hesitate to do what you know is right. Don't make compromises to keep other people happy, because in the long run, you're helping them by living as an example. Don't worry if you mess up. Apologize and admit you were wrong, then move to be better than you were.

I may not have explained this the best. It's a hard thing to do, and I'm nowhere near being confident in it.

I shy from absolutes. I don't say "no, yes, never, always." I say "probably not, maybe, not really, and mostly." There's always that paranoid second-guessing that tells me I'm wrong. Also, I sit on the fence for basically every opinion ever. I usually see both sides of the argument, and I can't really make a decision either way.

Here's some scripture that may shed a little light on what I'm trying to say-

Galatians 1:10 ESV        
For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.     
    
Romans 14:1 ESV
As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.

And also, following what you know to be right doesn't mean judging those who you don't agree with. Take these verses-

Romans 14:10-13 ESV        
Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.

Matthew 7:1-2 ESV        
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

So basically, it all comes down to this statement- Do what is right, even if others disagree, but don't be a pretentious jerk about it. You aren't perfect, so don't expect others to be.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Yourself When You Love Someone with Mental Illness

There are many articles online about how to love someone with a mental illness. I do not want to say that those are unimportant; they are very, very important. But something I have not seen in any article is the message that they need to care for themselves as well. It's hard to love someone in the middle of the storm. It's hard to give so much of yourself up for someone who may not appreciate you at the time. It's hard to know when to stop giving, and it's even harder to "Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life." (Prov 4:23) So, today I am here to talk to the children, the best friends, the partners of those with mental illness. From someone who both experiences depression and anxiety and has family/friends with various mental illness, I'm here to say: take care of yourself, too. You are not supposed to fix them. You can't. As I posted recently, "you don't 'cure' mental illness; you treat it through an ev

Growing Pains

Life is a process. It's a journey. The only real destination we have is death (and subsequently, unity with God if you're a believer). You will never stop learning and growing, ever. When I overcame some damaging habits in high school, I thought I had made it. When I untangled myself from a toxic relationship, I thought okay, now I've made it. When I volunteered a whole summer at Lake Ellen, I thought yes, finally I've made it. When I got into college and became a legal adult, I thought this is it, I have truly officially made it. But I haven't made it, there isn't an "it" point to reach where you're finally who you are. There will always be another mountain to climb, but that's not a bad thing. Empty fields get boring after a while, don't they? Life is all about change. It's all about growth. And even a little bit about death. Every single day you learn something new- even if you're not in school, even if you're not a

In Support of Emotional Abuse Survivors

Dear survivor: Before anything else, I want to tell you your trauma is valid. Even if you don't have bruises or scars and you feel like you don't have "proof." Even if you were only with them for a short time. Even if you feel like it was your fault and you had your chance to leave. You are not crazy or complaining for being honest about your trauma. You are not the only one who feels this way. You are not alone in your confusion, frustration, and pain. It may take you a long time to recognize that you were abused. It may take years. That doesn't mean you're making it up. It may take several therapists to properly deal with your residual feelings. That doesn't mean you're being too dramatic. Someday, you might find yourself doing things that your abuser used to do, and you start to panic and think "I'm turning into him/her." You're not. You're not like them. You're a survivor and you can change those behaviors and be b