Skip to main content

We Are Narcissists with Self-Esteem Issues

Really, we are. Just think about it.

People are going out of their way to make sure everyone knows just how awkward, depressed, antisocial, and messed-up they are.

Hey guess what- everyone is. Everyone feels awkward. Everyone can feel depressed (although I recognize Depression as a real mental disorder, considering I have medication for it). Everyone can be antisocial. Everyone is messed-up.

Teenagers these days are all over the media, crying out in anguish as someone posts a comment that makes them feel unloved and unwanted and unspecial. I have one thing to say- grow up.

Now now, before you start closing the tab or stalking me down to tell me how rude I am, just listen. I am definitely not condoning bullying. I am strongly against it. But, you don't have to play the victim. If they can make you so miserable, find someone whom you love and let them make you happy.

If you really want to feel happy, then do it. As one of the people I look up to said, "you're the only one who can fix you."(Miranda Fraser, she's a nice person :3) Don't cling to your anger and self-pity just because you want people to take notice of you.

Let me tell you a story.

I am a teenage girl, so I obviously am pretty insecure and emotional.

I would complain to my friends quite a bit about my problems, and I would always chase after responses like "no, you're beautiful!" or "you're so amazing! Don't be so hard on yourself." After a while, I was complaining to my sister (by friendship, not blood) Taylor May about how I felt ugly, and her response shocked me.

She yelled at me.

I was thoroughly surprised; how dare she! At first, I was hurt and thought she didn't care. Then, I realized something- she yelled because she cared.

That response shocked me into taking steps to get over myself and actually try to become more happy. I am truly thankful to have her in my life to set me straight.

Moral of the story is, I get it, life is really hard sometimes. But that's no excuse for throwing a pity-party for yourself. Take steps to make it better. It's okay to vent to your friends, it's okay to feel overwhelmed, it's okay to not feel okay. The problem comes in when you refuse to seek the help that people offer you.

Get help, be better. Confidence immediately improves your life and the attitudes of everyone around you.

Most of all, don't give up. Giving up accomplishes nothing, and believe it or not, lots of people love you and want you to succeed, Jesus and I being two of them.

If you need to talk, I can listen.

But most of all, carpe diem!

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Yourself When You Love Someone with Mental Illness

There are many articles online about how to love someone with a mental illness. I do not want to say that those are unimportant; they are very, very important. But something I have not seen in any article is the message that they need to care for themselves as well. It's hard to love someone in the middle of the storm. It's hard to give so much of yourself up for someone who may not appreciate you at the time. It's hard to know when to stop giving, and it's even harder to "Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life." (Prov 4:23) So, today I am here to talk to the children, the best friends, the partners of those with mental illness. From someone who both experiences depression and anxiety and has family/friends with various mental illness, I'm here to say: take care of yourself, too. You are not supposed to fix them. You can't. As I posted recently, "you don't 'cure' mental illness; you treat it through an ev

Growing Pains

Life is a process. It's a journey. The only real destination we have is death (and subsequently, unity with God if you're a believer). You will never stop learning and growing, ever. When I overcame some damaging habits in high school, I thought I had made it. When I untangled myself from a toxic relationship, I thought okay, now I've made it. When I volunteered a whole summer at Lake Ellen, I thought yes, finally I've made it. When I got into college and became a legal adult, I thought this is it, I have truly officially made it. But I haven't made it, there isn't an "it" point to reach where you're finally who you are. There will always be another mountain to climb, but that's not a bad thing. Empty fields get boring after a while, don't they? Life is all about change. It's all about growth. And even a little bit about death. Every single day you learn something new- even if you're not in school, even if you're not a

In Support of Emotional Abuse Survivors

Dear survivor: Before anything else, I want to tell you your trauma is valid. Even if you don't have bruises or scars and you feel like you don't have "proof." Even if you were only with them for a short time. Even if you feel like it was your fault and you had your chance to leave. You are not crazy or complaining for being honest about your trauma. You are not the only one who feels this way. You are not alone in your confusion, frustration, and pain. It may take you a long time to recognize that you were abused. It may take years. That doesn't mean you're making it up. It may take several therapists to properly deal with your residual feelings. That doesn't mean you're being too dramatic. Someday, you might find yourself doing things that your abuser used to do, and you start to panic and think "I'm turning into him/her." You're not. You're not like them. You're a survivor and you can change those behaviors and be b